Competition for admission to the University of Cambridge and for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship is intense.
The University of Cambridge is normally ranked in the top three universities worldwide. It typically receives over 9,000 applications for postgraduate study and research from non-British applicants, approximately 1,700 of whom take up their place at Cambridge.
Round 1 (USA)
- around 800 eligible applicants apply
- around 200 are highly ranked by departments in Cambridge
- 100 are invited to interview
- 40 offered a Gates Cambridge Scholarship after interview
Round 2: (International)
- c. 3,500 eligible applicants apply
- around 250 are highly ranked by departments in Cambridge
- 110 are invited to interview
- 50 offered a Gates Cambridge Scholarship after interview